Oil change intervals and brands of oil?

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I bought my 4th gen a month ago have 380 miles on it and I’m just dwelling on the oil change intervals and high quality oil brands to use. I’m really thinking of doing 3k miles oil changes on this truck because of the 4cyl and the turbocharger. Contemplating using amsoil signature series oil or just the Toyota genuine oil( made for Toyota by Exxon/mobil). What are you guys thoughts ?
Sponsored

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
So far i did 2 oil change 1st at 6000 and second at 11000 km . I got little metal shaving in drained oil both time . So i would say do first 3 oil changes quick .. it doesn’t hurt 100-200 dollar extra . I used liquimoly brand 0w20 oil . First time i added 5.9 quarts new oil as per toyota owner manual . But found out that it was little extra . My dip stick would show over the top dot so second time i added 5.3 quarts which was perfect in middle of dip stick

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
So far i did 2 oil change 1st at 6000 and second at 11000 km . I got little metal shaving in drained oil both time . So i would say do first 3 oil changes quick .. it doesn’t hurt 100-200 dollar extra . I used liquimoly brand 0w20 oil . First time i added 5.9 quarts new oil as per toyota owner manual . But found out that it was little extra . My dip stick would show over the top dot so second time i added 5.3 quarts which was perfect in middle of dip stick
Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
Whatever brand you want and 5k intervals. I use mobil 1 0w20 personally​

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
I bought my 4th gen a month ago have 380 miles on it and I’m just dwelling on the oil change intervals and high quality oil brands to use. I’m really thinking of doing 3k miles oil changes on this truck because of the 4cyl and the turbocharger. Contemplating using amsoil signature series oil or just the Toyota genuine oil( made for Toyota by Exxon/mobil). What are you guys thoughts ?
I did @ 1000 miles. About to do one @ 4500. I just use Toyotas brand

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Different engines respond differently to different oils. The only way to really optimize is through a continuous sampling program. 5000 mile intervals with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum will be my starting point (after a break-in oil change). Motor Oil Geek on YouTube is a great channel to check out.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Different engines respond differently to different oils. The only way to really optimize is through a continuous sampling program. 5000 mile intervals with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum will be my starting point (after a break-in oil change). Motor Oil Geek on YouTube is a great channel to check out.
I’ve seen his videos great information! For someone with that much knowledge he never really gives an opinion on what he thinks is the best oil additive package, although he did talk very highly of the Toyota genuine motor oil but no comments on amsoil signature series
Sponsored