Sponsored

TRD skid plate install on 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport. Help

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Nytop is making a cross member for those of use without it. That will give you the two missing mounting points.
I'll wait for some competition on this part as I'm sure other fabs will start making something comparable.

$300 is a bit steep for a what more or less is a bar of steel with 6 holes. I get it that there is some engineering effort that goes into designing these, but I think they're gouging a bit given they're the only ones that have officially announced this product. Plus they manufacture in China. My guess is similar parts will be available for sub $200 by the end of the year.

Stealership said you can run these off the 4 bolts just fine, and Toyota even sells them as an accessory for all trim lines (TRD/TH skid). So I'll do that once my skid comes in until there's a more cost effective option for the bolt-on crossmember.
Sponsored

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Stealership said you can run these off the 4 bolts just fine
The problem with running the TRD skid without a support brace behind it, is that should you actually mash into something, whether it a rock or tree stump, whatever, you could bend the plate and push it up behind your radiator.

Taco Golfer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
This is my exposed and naked lower front on my TRD Sport. My Corolla has better protection underneath right now until my aluminum plate comes in. See where all the bugs are hitting the crossmember and other parts underneath in the center?

That means debris or rocks from the road can and will strike those points underneath, hence why the skid plate works for street and of course off-road.

thumbnail_20240518_184927.jpg
You removed the air dam. Have you noticed any untoward effects from doing so?

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
The problem with running the TRD skid without a support brace behind it, is that should you actually mash into something, whether it a rock or tree stump, whatever, you could bend the plate and push it up behind your radiator.
Yeah, figured it won't be as strong without the support. Doubt I'll be doing any serious wheeling where that'll be a concern. Just want protection from the elements (mud, salt, etc) below, as the stock piece of fabric is worthless aside from mitigating some road noise. With that being said, when a more cost-effective crossmember solution hits the market I'll probably spring on it.

I'd honestly be happy with a hard plastic skid as well, for what I need it for. Fortunately, with the 4th of July sale, I managed to pick up a TRD aluminum skid for about $330 including taxes and shipping. So rather just get it while it's cheap and get it installed, as I've been fiending to get rid of the air dam but didn't want to do it until I had a skid in place.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
This is my exposed and naked lower front on my TRD Sport. My Corolla has better protection underneath right now until my aluminum plate comes in. See where all the bugs are hitting the crossmember and other parts underneath in the center?

That means debris or rocks from the road can and will strike those points underneath, hence why the skid plate works for street and of course off-road.

thumbnail_20240518_184927.jpg
You also removed the 'felt' plastic plate? Why?

Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
You removed the air dam. Have you noticed any untoward effects from doing so?

No issues with new skid plate installed, looks cleaner up front and no more bugs, small rocks and stuff hitting underneath. They hit teh skid plate now.

WWTravel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-road
Jesus, put a skid plate on a sport and everyone thinks it's for aesthetics. That's disappointing to see the offroad has an additional cross member, I don't plan on letting the tighter suspension of my Sport stop me from going where a skidplate could come in handy.
Kielly, Do you need a cross member for the front skidplate mount? I have an offroad and received a cross member with the full skid plate set and do not need it. Maybe we can make something happen to help you. Thanks, Paul

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Kielly, Do you need a cross member for the front skidplate mount? I have an offroad and received a cross member with the full skid plate set and do not need it. Maybe we can make something happen to help you. Thanks, Paul
I believe the crossmember on the offroad is welded to the frame.

WWTravel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-road
Yes, for the Offroad. Isn't it missing on the sport? Maybe I am just confused...

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Yes, for the Offroad. Isn't it missing on the sport? Maybe I am just confused...
When you say "full skid set", are you talking about the Trailhunter steel set?

Would love to see a picture of the supposed crossmember you received.

WWTravel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-road
Full CBI Aluminum Skid Plate set, front to xfer case. After I replied initially, I realized a picure would be helpful, then it could not be found in my garage with the stock plates returned. The cross member was not returned to me after installation. Working with the shop to get it back. Sorry for the confusion.

WWTravel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-road
Full CBI Aluminum Skid Plate set, front to xfer case. After I replied initially, I realized a picure would be helpful, then it could not be found in my garage with the stock plates returned. The cross member was not returned to me after installation. Working with the shop to get it back. Sorry for the confusion.
Here are a couple pictures of the cross member... the two nut holes match perfectly with two front mount hole on the front of the skid plate.

IMG_20240713_134239172_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240713_134248554_HDR.jpg

hogshooter

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited 4x4
Here are a couple pictures of the cross member... the two nut holes match perfectly with two front mount hole on the front of the skid plate.

IMG_20240713_134239172_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240713_134248554_HDR.jpg
CBI included a cross member with their skid? It's not mentioned on their website

WWTravel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-road
CBI included a cross member with their skid? It's not mentioned on their website
No, they don't mention it. CBI customer service said they just include itto cover all the models that may need it.
Sponsored