Sponsored

YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen?

Soft Taco

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Owners only please. Could you share your honest take on pros and cons of your 4th gen so far? No matter big or small, what do you like and dislike? This will help dredge through the clickbait that is the internet…
Sponsored

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
2 months ownership, currently driving cross country (it's my wife's turn to drive so I'm literally in the passenger seat). Started in AZ, traveling to NC where I'll be putting it through it's paces in the backcountry.

Mileage around town is... Bad, or maybe I'm bad at controlling my foot from a light. I would put mileage around 18 around town and current getting around 23-24 on the i40 going on average 5-8 miles over the posted limit.

Seats are comfortable (have the upgraded softex heated and vented seats). Despite what the Internet is saying, there is an acceptable amount of legroom space in the rear (provided you don't have the TRD pro with the isodynamic seats). Infotainment is great, plenty of USB c ports, plenty of storage space across the dash and doors.

The turbo 4 is great and I enjoy hearing the turbo and pushing the gas at 75mph will give you enough for passing relatively fast. It however doesn't sound amazing overall, but who buys a Tacoma for engine noise?

Things I do not like - the wireless charging pad is always on, so if you don't want to charge your phone, you have to move it and you can't put anything else in this space. Some QC issues that I want to have the dealership look at when I get home. The spare tire is not full size, and the under body protection for the off road is plastic. Windshield wipers are not automatic, no memory functions for seat positions either (my 21 RAV4 hybrid has both of these).

That said, I have no regrets purchasing the Tacoma.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
The only QC issue I had was a rear fender that was raised off the body slightly. I just adjusted the screws and it seated properly.

Some random thoughts:

I second the wireless charger being kinda shit. It's a great phone heater. It's good enough for quick trips but you'll need to plug in on long trips if you use AA or CP. I'm working on an alternative plug in charger design for next to it. I think the interior space its fine for being a mid size. My wife, myself, and our rear facing child seat all fit. I have no hood flutter or glove box rattle (common points made as negatives). I really like the adaptive cruise and lane keep for highway driving, pretty much drives itself on the highway.

OP
OP
Soft Taco

Soft Taco

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
2 months ownership, currently driving cross country (it's my wife's turn to drive so I'm literally in the passenger seat). Started in AZ, traveling to NC where I'll be putting it through it's paces in the backcountry.

Mileage around town is... Bad, or maybe I'm bad at controlling my foot from a light. I would put mileage around 18 around town and current getting around 23-24 on the i40 going on average 5-8 miles over the posted limit.

Seats are comfortable (have the upgraded softex heated and vented seats). Despite what the Internet is saying, there is an acceptable amount of legroom space in the rear (provided you don't have the TRD pro with the isodynamic seats). Infotainment is great, plenty of USB c ports, plenty of storage space across the dash and doors.

The turbo 4 is great and I enjoy hearing the turbo and pushing the gas at 75mph will give you enough for passing relatively fast. It however doesn't sound amazing overall, but who buys a Tacoma for engine noise?

Things I do not like - the wireless charging pad is always on, so if you don't want to charge your phone, you have to move it and you can't put anything else in this space. Some QC issues that I want to have the dealership look at when I get home. The spare tire is not full size, and the under body protection for the off road is plastic. Windshield wipers are not automatic, no memory functions for seat positions either (my 21 RAV4 hybrid has both of these).

Love these in depth points. Thanks! I continue to hear nothing but decent to great feedback about the 2.4

OP
OP
Soft Taco

Soft Taco

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
The only QC issue I had was a rear fender that was raised off the body slightly. I just adjusted the screws and it seated properly.

Some random thoughts:

I second the wireless charger being kinda shit. It's a great phone heater. It's good enough for quick trips but you'll need to plug in on long trips if you use AA or CP. I'm working on an alternative plug in charger design for next to it. I think the interior space its fine for being a mid size. My wife, myself, and our rear facing child seat all fit. I have no hood flutter or glove box rattle (common points made as negatives). I really like the adaptive cruise and lane keep for highway driving, pretty much drives itself on the highway.
Solid points. It’s sounds yet again the phone charger is underwhelming and will be underused. In CarPlay with screen off is it still not keeping up?

Sponsored

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Solid points. It’s sounds yet again the phone charger is underwhelming and will be underused. In CarPlay with screen off is it still not keeping up?
I use Android Auto so I can't speak about CP.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
I’ve had my Off Road 6MT since mid April, here are some bullet points.

Pros:
-Ease of fitting larger tires. I have some true 33.0” 285/70r17 on a wider offset with stock suspension and plenty of room for articulation.
-4th gen off road suspension is superior to 3rd gen. 46mm shocks with piggy backs stock. I’d argue 5100s wouldn’t be much of an upgrade
-Love the way it looks.

Cons:
-Ease of paint chipping. Already have some touch up paint and will be applying some more paint protection film afterwards.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
I've got a Bronze oxide Sport. Love the seats, don't like the weird, bright white trim. JBL sound system is ho-hum. Front removable dash speaker is too loud and no acceptable way of toning it down. If this wasn't a pkg deal, I would not get it. I'd take it to an audio dealer and let them do their magic. I've got the irregular tailgate gap thing. Drivability is good and I get about 18mpg around town. Will be taking a 600 mile road trip next week, so we'll see the highway mpg. The truck feels more like a full-size than mid size as far as visibility around the hood and going down narrow streets with cars parked on both sides.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Things I like or love...
* I absolutely love there is no start/stop function!
* This is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned! I had a 2016 Tacoma pro and this is so much nicer than that as far as the ride with the engine/transmission!
* I'm 5 foot eight and this is very comfortable for me. Side note: The rear view mirror is adjusted all the way up, so if you're much taller than me, I don't know how you use it.
* I absolutely love the 6 foot bed! That should be the standard bed instead of the 5 foot bed imho!
* The visibility is great and the side mirrors are a good size.
* and everything else that everybody likes is pretty much point on.

Things I don't like or hate...
* I absolutely hate the back up camera view. It is so distorted on the sides when backing out of a parking space. The only times I pull head on is when their angled spots. It makes it look like I'm going to hit one of the other vehicles that are parked and not moving. I've never had that issue with any other vehicles even with the larger screen.
* I don't like the size of the entertainment center. I don't think it needs to be any larger than a 12" screen. I don't see the purpose of having it so large with giant icons. That's just my personal opinion.
* I hate the options on the instrument cluster keep changing. I always have it set to number 1 and it always changes to numbe3. So I changed the the options in number 3 to what I wanted and then it always goes back to number 2 setting. Go figure!
* I hate that I can't put the windows down with the key fob or the app so that it cools down before I get in, especially now that they're saying the glue in the headliners is a carcinogen when it's all heated up. Hopefully, that will change when I receive my CARISTA OBD Scan Tool tomorrow that I've seen some of you guys review. That'll be a game changer!
* Yes, the phone charging option is retarded and I don't even use it. I use the Lisen phone holder from Amazon $12 - $15 with a short cable down to the USB port. Works great for using Waze. I don't like using CarPlay though one day I might try it again. It might learn to like it. See pics.
* I don't like the bed makes a noise when I hit good bumps like those old drop-in bedliners do.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Overall, I wouldn't trade this for any other make!

As an owner of a new generation, I get surveys once every couple weeks and I fill them out. I hope any of you that get them do the same thing because that's the only way they will know about issues and fix them and put TSB's out also.

Safe driving you all.

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? Phone holder 1

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? Phone holder 4

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? Phone holder 3

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? Phone holder 2

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I’ve had my sport for a month. I downsized from an F150. Here are my cons.

- small gas tank
- no bumper step to get into the bed
- air dam is rediculous. I took it off
- remote start range from the fob is about 50-75 feet. Not much.

Pros:
- fun to drive with the low end torque
- handles great
- drive train is great
- interior well thought out
- tech is easy to use
- looks cool
- i don’t mind the stereo
- i got the 8” screen. Perfect size for my needs.

But in all honesty. Most of my cons and the cons I have read about on the forum are first world problems. The Tacomas are awesome vehicles. I would recommend to anyone unless they had a young family and needed more space.

All of my friends that have seen my truck are jealous. It’s not why I bought it but that in itself is very telling.

I could not be happier with my decision.

Last edited:

Sponsored

John Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I have 2x TRD Off Road (6M) in Canada (base trim)

Pros
- Fun + agile
- Good fuel economy
- Value, 51k CDN gets you a lot of truck with a fun manual transmission
- The auto parking break is useful, your vehicle won't roll away but it can also be annoying
- Much easier to drive on highway, less shifting
- Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 is good, just accept it and let it work for you (know what to do if it wants to jam on breaks and you want to override)
- The tailgate is so light I almost lost my mind when closing it for the first time

Cons
-I feel like the TRD Off Road wheel ring is kinda ugly (I spray painted the chrome Toyota logo on the grill)
-Break in period is long with the new clutch, gotta be gentle at first
-Maybe the longevity of the turbo? Who knows
-The rear seats don't fold flat, so the 3rd gen was better for dogs
-The skid plates are meh, and don't cover all the things you would want protected
-Toyota connected services is annoying - I don't want a vehicle collecting my data and throughout the sales process everyone just wanted me to agree to it - no thanks :)

I'm hoping for an OEM suspension upgrade to turn the base model Off Road into something more capable that is covered under warranty. If you like manuals buy one.

Thank you to Toyota and the Tacoma team for keeping the manual alive. I would bet it is the best manual truck out there.

Trocious

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Premium
Right at the one month mark with my OR w/ premium package.

Pros:
  • Low end torque makes it fun and easy to drive
  • 8 speed transmission is well tuned. Doesn’t shift hard like my 2nd gen.
  • Handles well and soaks up crappy roads
  • The 360 camera view is amazing for parking
  • Wireless CarPlay has worked flawlessly so far. iPhone 15
  • Adaptive cruise control with lane assist can basically drive for you on the highway. Even takes corners.
  • Safety sense isn’t overly cautious like my GFs Subaru. Doesn’t alert for obstacles because of shadows on the road or increase braking pressure when you’re already slowing down.
  • It’s much quieter in the cabin than my 2nd gen
  • Turbo noises
  • The large touch screen is nice to use. Responsive and accurately registers touches.
Cons:
  • Price
  • The removable speaker overwhelms the sound by default. I found moving the balance one tick towards the rear and one tick towards the driver seat helped tone it down a lot. As well as reducing the mids. Premium sound isn’t great. I think the JBL system in my 2nd gen was probably better.
  • The ventilated seat fan is kinda loud on the highest setting.
  • There’s way less places to stick stuff around the shifter compared to my 2nd gen.
  • The cup holders are super annoying with larger cups. Difficult to press in the spring arms.
  • The wireless phone charging seems to make a lot of heat.
Overall I’m really happy with the truck.

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6’ bed
Start off by saying I really like my TRD Sport Premium-
Dislikes- ( I’m just nittpicking!)
- annoyingly loud wiper motor
- paint is not up to normal Toyota qualiy. Some orange peeling that is quite noticeable.
-rear view mirror camera and push button tailgate release not available on my Premium here in Canada. Just something I wanted.
- imitation spare tire- gotta go!
- oil pan drain plug should be on the bottom of the pan- not slightly to the side. Would alllow for complete draining of the pan.
- Plastic “snow plough” on the front.
- useless so called fiber “skid plates”

Likes-
Basically everything else- especially the features of the Toyota Safety Sense system.

datkins

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 prerunner

Windshield wipers are not automatic, no memory functions for seat positions either

‘24 TRD Sport (premium package), now at 9200 on the odometer

I guess I have the same “foot control” problem you have, but I’ve never had a problem before. So I’ve been disappointed in the MPGs. The early reports I saw were well above the 18 I’m getting in the city. I’ve had 3 road trips and managed to get 21.4 on the highway. Again, I’m not goose-ing it or acting like a teenager. I use the Lane Assist and adaptive cruise (which I like better than I thought I would). I was hoping for something closer to 23 on the highway

Seat position memory button would have been nice on a $53k vehicle. I am also pleased with the truck, but I do think it was too pricey.

I would add as a negative the size of the fuel tank. It’s way too small. At my best highway mileage I do well to get 300 miles between stops.