Sponsored

YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen?

Duck Amuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road/17 MINI Cooper Clubman S
My wife, myself, and our rear facing child seat all fit.
What rear-facing child seat are you using? We have the Diono 3RX and I was disappointed to find it does not fit behind my wife in any kind of comfortable manner (it's fits in my MINI Clubman so I was sure it would fit in the Tacoma, but no dice!)
Sponsored

MJL62

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited
I have had my limited since April 9th and I have put 3400 miles on it.

My list of cons is small:

Needs at least a 25 gallon gas tank. I would like at least a 500 mile range.
I wish the mirrors would auto fold when locked like my wife's Lexus.
The big screen is slightly too big. When I want to look at the whole route with maps on Car play it is a long reach to the right upper corner.

Pros:

It is way more comfortable to sit in and to drive than the Tacos (2001 and 2011) I have had in the past.
It is fun to drive
I am getting an average of almost 22 mpg, on comfort mode (Yes I am an old fart)(I have a 100 mile highway roundtrip to work)
I like the way you can customize the gauges right in front of you.
The adaptive cruise control is easy to use.
The 360 degree cameras are great
The video rear view mirror took some getting to use to but I really like it now.

Last edited:

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Quick update, made it to our cabin in the mountains (2000 mile drive). I had zero transmission issues on the mountainous paved roads. When I got to the unpaved, switched to 4h(no issues) noticed the transmission was warming up while climbing. I didn't give it a chance to get too hot so I switched it to 4L, zero issues, temps evened out.

Both apple car play and android auto worked great (my wife is apple, I'm android). I also want to call out the active noise cancelling, the safety sense 3.0 and adaptive cruise control is fantastic.

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? 1000004150

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Wow thank you so much! I never thought about checking the screen for settings. Pretty much all of them allow you to change the back up lines.
I can't wait to go park head in now so I could check it out. I just did it in my driveway and it looks great. The distorted view could really work somewhere out in the wide open I suppose. You're so wonderful Thanks again!

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
After owning a 2005 X-Runner, 2010 SR5 and 2016 SR and now a 2024 TRD Sport 6MT.

Cons are small:

No Access cab model, had to settle with 4 door and small bed.

No engine cover.

Fuel tank could be bigger.

Tailgate is flimsy compared to brute on the 2016 SR. I say that because I used ramps to load my 500 lbs. lawnmower on and off all season cutting the property, and it fit in the bed with tailgate closed behind it.

No proper skid plate from factory. I know I will always upgrade but still.

Pro's:

The 4-cylinder now has ample power.

4.30 gears in rear 9.5" axle, shall I say more? Had same 4.30 gears in my 2016 SR with 6-speed auto. Very low and solid gearing.

Easy to put 33's on, I have 265/70 R18's with just level kit.

6MT is solid, when you shift properly. Yes, tight first to 2nd gear but not bad. My 6MT X-Runner had higher gearing in rear axle, so cannot compare.

Interior is an improvement from 2016 and functional. Do not care about human room in back because it is used for retrieval gear and storage. Thought I would hate the digital tac and stuff, but really like it now.

Coil sprung rear suspension is dramatic improvement from leafs. It is comfortable and fun to drive.

Never thought stance would be a plus, but it is, as it rides as high as any standard full-size pickup truck 1/2 ton.

Bronze oxide is a sweet color and very rare with a 6MT and Sport edition.

I have over 4,300 miles and counting.

Images of all 3 of my previous Tacoma's and my new ride:

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? thumbnail_125

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? thumbnail_IMG_0469

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? thumbnail_403

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? thumbnail_20240425_154816

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? thumbnail_20240415_111113

Sponsored

Sundrasj

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Cons: wireless charger basically doesn’t charge it keeps your phone around the percentage it’s at, unless you’re on an hours long trip it’s just incredibly slow. However, the USB c right next to it charges insanely fast.

also, my CarPlay doesn’t automatically start half the time if not more. It’s connected, I just have to go to the devices section and turn on CarPlay. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

A small thing but I wish the lowest fan speed for AC was a little slower.

Wish they still had army green ☹
Pros:

Almost everything. Love the interior and screen, the driving experience, and exterior look

DaGaut99

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
Pros:
- Low end torque is amazing
- Upgrading tires to 33s is easy as a lift or trimming is not required
- MPG is good overall
- I have the premium so all the amenities that you get with it is worth it id say
- The bed is deeper than the third gen. You can put a full size tote / plastic bin without having to fold the tonneau cover

Cons:
- Range is underwhelming. I get 450 km max with it but maybe it will increase once I get more mileage out of it
- All the stupid Toyota dings and rings

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
What rear-facing child seat are you using? We have the Diono 3RX and I was disappointed to find it does not fit behind my wife in any kind of comfortable manner (it's fits in my MINI Clubman so I was sure it would fit in the Tacoma, but no dice!)
Graco Extend to fit. I'm 6' for reference in the photo.

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? PXL_20240616_234009510.MP

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? PXL_20240616_233912661.MP

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? PXL_20240616_233758071.MP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Owners only please. Could you share your honest take on pros and cons of your 4th gen so far? No matter big or small, what do you like and dislike? This will help dredge through the clickbait that is the internet…
I actually really enjoy driving the new Tacoma. The adaptive cruise control is amazing. However I am coming from a 1999 f250 triton. So didn’t have much new tech in that. I set it to 45 and never touch the gas pedal in city. It comes to a complete stop behind vehicles perfectly.
Definitely enough power for me. It gets up and goes. I don’t have the hybrid. That’s probably even better.
The gas mileage isn’t great. Usually around 17-18 mixed city and highway
The passenger door panel was quivering with music that had a lot of bass. Enough to make me not listen to music. Will get in there soon and glue some stuff so it goes away.
The wireless charger on my never worked with my case that is very thin. I have to take it out of the case for it to work and if I’m doing all that I’m just going to plug it in via cord and charge
It does seem a little cheaply built interior. Doesn’t seem durable. It’s ok but i just don’t see it taking a lot of years. Seats. Panels. Passenger handle. Etc
My windshield wipers were angled wrong and needed adjusting.
I have an off road and the skid plates are plastic lol. Like really? I’ll purchase some real armor down the road.
And of course my transmission failed at 2700. They are replacing. Hopefully end of July
The infotainment is kind of laggy. Nothing crazy
All in all I do love driving the truck. I personally think it’s the best looking newer midsize. My wife absolutely loves the truck. I would be happy to drive this truck for 20 years if it lasts.

Cabby30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 DCLB TRD OR
TRD OR DCLB. 4200 miles.
Coming from 1998 4Runner. 315k miles.

Disclaimer: I love this truck & I love my 4Runner as well.

Favs:
-Drivetrain is smooth & torque-y.
-360 cam is great for long bed parking.
-Active cruise is great for commute & road trips.
-Power tail gate. I would have never optioned or wanted this but I’m glad it came with it & now love it.
-Coil springs & disk brakes in the rear.

Complaints:
-QC: Passenger door had a rattle with speakers above 30 volume. I mostly resolved this by removing the panel & tightening the thread forming screws in the door panel.
-QC: Driver side ventilated seat would rattle in cold weather. I had to unzip the back of the seat & back the screws out to stop the rattle. Fixed now.
-The steering wheel shape digs into inner palms when holding it at 3&9.
-The skid plate should be stamped steel at minimum on TRD OR.
-Although I don’t sit back there, I wish the rear seats had more recline.
-Unsure if the JBL subwoofer actually does anything…
-While better than the 15mpg 4Runner; 19.5mpg is still not great for a turbo-4.

Sponsored

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
4 months and 3800 miles. For my driving the only con is fuel tank range. Getting 400 milers to a tank would have been primo! Love driving my truck!

lxs123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' TRD Offroad
Cons:
- Loud windshield wiper motor
- Tailgate alignment left to right
- AC function does not stay ON after turning off the vehicle
- Cant connect to my Apple phone 50% of the time, have to reset the unit by pressing power button
- Rad fan noise while at idle. I think i would prefer if it just stayed on and not cycle every 20s
- Jerky transmission between 1st and 2nd for the first 5min of drive following warmup. Also RPM cant seem to settle keeps going up and down by about 50rpm while waiting at the stop sign
- Seatbelt buckle gets stuck between the seat and B pillar
- Cant keep the bed camera ON all the time while driving
- No memory seats
- No rear seat climate control for the little ones

Pros:
- Everything else

OP
OP
Soft Taco

Soft Taco

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Gentlemen… yall are awesome.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
100% agree with this. Just put your boost guage on the same page as the fuel economy gauge. It’s almost linear.
It is WONDERFUL that the Tacoma has this feature. On my Subaru Ascent (and other vehicles with a turbo engine) they don't have an option to show the boost. Thus, you just have to be gentle with it and guess.

I do however wish there was an option to aggressively disable it. For instance only allow the turbo to run if you put the pedal to the floor. However, I'm not sure how aggressive the Eco mode is as I don't own the vehicle.
Sponsored