Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Looks like my TRD Sport that I got in April falls in this range. I've already taken it to the dealer once about hard shifting and they said it's "normal behavior". At what point do I take it back? Do I have to wait until it fails completely and they have to come tow me?
I say that since your VIN is in the TSB range and it has shifting issues you take it to the dealer ASAP.
Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
VIN #TMLB5JN2RM002132

So if I am reading this correctly, I do fall within the range of vehicles that may have an issue. Does that mean I take it in and get things replaced or do I have to wait until something goes wrong?
Clarity on what a TSB is. It's a technical service bulletin, that means if the symptoms do not show up, transmission does not get replaced. It's only if there is symptoms. No symptoms or issues no replace. That doesn't mean it doesn't turn into a recall at some point in the future. A recall is just that, the part (in this case the transmission and torque converter) get's replaced no matter what - no matter if there is an issue or not, it's just bring the truck in and replace the transmission. Personally I'd rather see this as a recall rather than a TSB wondering when and if the issue would arise.

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Guanajuato Meixco factory for me. I just called the dealer, bringing it back in Tuesday. They were extremely adamant that it MUST be currently presenting the problem before they can service it.

I told them throw it in tow/haul so it hits every gear, sometimes feels like it's going to fall out when it goes into first and second, especially when theres some weight in the bed.

Sponsored

Evanmauk

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I think I’m in it, right? VIN 3TYLB5JNORT002778 Do we wait for a communication from Toyota or can we just schedule it with the dealer?

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base
Clarity on what a TSB is. It's a technical service bulletin, that means if the symptoms do not show up, transmission does not get replaced. It's only if there is symptoms. No symptoms or issues no replace. That doesn't mean it doesn't turn into a recall at some point in the future. A recall is just that, the part (in this case the transmission and torque converter) get's replaced no matter what - no matter if there is an issue or not, it's just bring the truck in and replace the transmission. Personally I'd rather see this as a recall rather than a TSB wondering when and if the issue would arise.
This is helpful. It feels like what happens when you get injured/sick and panic read WebMD... trying to decide whether to go to urgent care, the ER, or just do nothing.

Happy Friday everyone! 😂

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
How many trucks will this be that are/will be/may be affected.... I'm assuming if I have two 00's in my Vin I'm affected right?

3TMLB5JN0RM005949

Thanks

Sponsored

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Guanajuato Meixco factory for me. I just called the dealer, bringing it back in Tuesday. They were extremely adamant that it MUST be currently presenting the problem before they can service it.

I told them throw it in tow/haul so it hits every gear, sometimes feels like it's going to fall out when it goes into first and second, especially when theres some weight in the bed.
Re
Thanks for the info. I'm on the list, but my autotrans is butter smooth at the moment. If there is a recall, does Toyota provide a loner vehicle or is it up to the individual dealer or do you have to have purchased an extended warranty for that perk?

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
This is really disheartening to all of us affected, we’re supposed to wait and see if we get stranded and then Toyota will help us? What about the trucks that potentially make it to 60k miles or 5 years and then the debris wipes out the trans? Common Toyota …..

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
This TSB says US and Mexico, so I don’t know if the VIN range applies to Canada? Anybody know?
Is there a separate one for Canadian VINs?

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I do find it funny that they are aware and have an explicit list of "potentially" affected VINs, but it is not a recall yet. Maybe I haven't owned (new) cars long enough, but that seems funky to me.
Sponsored